Thursday, September 8, 2011

What makes Hiking and Outdoor Adventures so fun?

I tend to spend a large amount of my time on my computer with work.   Hikes and family outings are one of the best ways to energize yourself and make some lasting memories.  I love lasting memories of our family trips and special moments to cherish forever. 
***************************************************************************
Tonight my son wrote a story for school that was about his two day hike in Alaska.  I thought I'd share the adventure...

Img_1101

"The Time I Took a Two Day Hike"

One breezy day in Alaska we set off on a journey.  We were going to make an overnight hike!  On the first day we walked for almost 8 miles over different terrain!  We started off in a forest section with moss and leaves , also a slow incline.  We took a detour to see an amazing waterfall with rushing waters.  

Back on, the packs went, for more long hours of hiking.  After all that forest we got high in the mountains into a hilly area with many ponds.  From certain pints you could see for miles into Resurrection bay, Seward, and the ocean beyond.  But before that, we camped.  We walked down to a windy gravel beach by Lost lake and set our tent.

The next day was beautiful with hardly any clouds in the brilliantly blue sky.  In the hills we walked, seeing waterfalls, crystal clear deep blue lakes, and there was even some snow on the trail.  We also saw many other people on the way.  Getting closer to the end was the hardest with our aching feet, and running out of water.  The final part went back to trees and cliffs that you do not wanna look down.

When we finally got down my Aunt, two cousins, and their 2 dogs were exhilarated
to see us.  Then we went to town and got tasty pizza at the only "Apollos."  My feet hurt so bad that I had to wear my wool socks into the restaurant! Even though we couldn't call on the hike we told many stories to come.  And that was my first two day hike.

***************************************************************************
So I hope you have the opportunity to get outside with your family and go on a hike your children will remember forever and share with others.

Cheers to your Moments!

- Nicole Flothe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...